The Kingdoms of Celair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tracking Orcs

2 posters

Go down

Tracking Orcs Empty Tracking Orcs

Post by Serethiel Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Serethiel remained awake that night and kept watch. As an elf she didn't require much sleep and so she sat by the dying fire watching Breyan sleep. She had only known the man for a few hours, but already she felt her life beginning to become entangled with him. He was the first human she had interacted with like this before and she wasn't sure what to think. He frustrated and irritated her...but at the same time she knew that there was much more to him than he was letting on. She also found him incredibly handsome...in a rough, slightly unkempt sort of way. He challenged her and kept her on her toes, instead of simply bowing down to her, and that caused her to respect him. They had fought well together against those orcs, as if they had been training together their entire lives. She had never fought back to back with anyone like that before. She had trusted him to keep her alive, just as he had trusted her.

The following morning, just before dawn, Serethiel took her bow and quiver and stepped away from the camp to hunt for breakfast. She returned with a large rabbit, which she gutted and skinned (as she had the night before). She rebuilt the fire and began to cook the rabbit over a makeshift spit. She heard Breyan stir and she looked over at him as he awoke.

"How is your leg feeling?"

Serethiel
Admin

https://kingdoms-of-celair.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Tracking Orcs Empty Re: Tracking Orcs

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:02 pm

The smell of roasted meat caught Breyan's senses and he began to stir. He had slept deeply throughout the night, unusually trusting of his new friend.

When he opened his eyes, he shifted back towards the fire. It had been rebuilt and a rabbit was cooking over it.

His eyes squinted as he questioned them. How had this happened? This woman had amazing survival skills that would rival any woodsman back home.

"How?" He muttered before clearing his throat. He didn't really need to know the details. He was hungry and breakfast was provided by a beautiful woman.

"How is your leg feeling?" She asked.

The pain had diminished to the point that he had forgotten about the wound.

Raising his eyebrows in disbelief, "Surprisingly better." He replied reaching his hand back to the bandage behind his leg. He tore the crusted herbal dressing away and felt the cut. It had closed and seemed to be mended.

"Thank you for fetching breakfast. I now owe you for two rabbits. And for last night. I know you stood watch over me. I am grateful." He told her as he stood and stretched, testing his leg. He moved back away from camp and began to swing his sword. Testing his balance, strength and agility. He seemed to be 90%.

He turned back to the elf healer, who had been watching him while she had removed the cooked rabbit and prepared a plate for them both. He smiled at her...

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Serethiel was glad to know that his leg was feeling better. He didn't appear to have injured it further last night and she knew that if that were the case that he should be able to walk on it easily today which was good because they needed to start tracking those orcs this morning.

Out of the corner of her eye she could see him stretching and testing his leg. He picked up his sword and swung it a few times to test his balance and agility. He was pleased by his improvement and began to cut the cooked rabbit into pieces. She had also found some berries growing nearby and had picked them (after determining they were safe to eat). They were washed and she put some on each plate as well. She handed a plate to him, her hand accidently touching his in the process. She pulled her hand back slowly and glanced away before looking back at him.

"We should eat quickly and then start off. The orc's trail is still relatively fresh."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 am

The slight touch of their hands was note worthy for Breyan too. Such a strong beautiful woman had such a kind and gentle touch. Her femininity was equally balanced with the fierce warrior she was. The perfect woman Breyan thought. Then he shook the thought from his mind. An elf and a human could never be together. Their people would refuse to except it. In addition, he would grow old and die before she would age a year.

"We should eat quickly and then start off. The orc's trail is still relatively fresh." She said.

Breyan nodded in agreement. He wanted to stay there forever with her, but knew he'd have to build an emotional wall to stave off any attachment he would feel for her. He could not fall in love.

The two moved like well trained soldiers packing up the camp and gathering their supplies. In addition to the rabbit she had caught that morning, Serenthiel had also fetched his bow and arrows from her old camp. He remembered dropping them when the fight started, and had forgotten to retrieve them. He glanced her way when he first saw them by his gear. Nodding a thank you her way, he added a grin of appreciation to her. This woman was something special.

The two moved north at a faster pace. His leg felt injured, but not anything that would slow him. The healing ointment was nothing like he had known, and at some point, he'd have to learn its mixture.

The elf picked up the trail much easier than he, and the two followed for over an hour. At one point, Breyan pulled a piece of ribbon from a branch. It was a simple hair tie, but only one a human girl would wear. "She's alive... and smart." He muttered.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:18 am

Serethiel sat quietly as she ate her portion of the rabbit. She could sense Breyan's eyes suddenly upon her and when she looked at him she realized he must have noticed that she had also collected his bow and quiver. Their eyes met for a moment across the fire before they both looked away.

After eating, they packed up the camp together and set out. They headed North, following the trail of the orcs. Serethiel led the way, but ensured that Breyan was following close behind her by continuing to glance back at him as they walked quickly. He was keeping up and, though his leg was not 100%, he did not seem to be in much pain.

Serethiel was able to follow the trail very easily. The tracks were still fresh enough and orcs were large, ungraceful creatures that often caused quite a bit of damage to the surrounding area, especially when there were more than one of them and they were moving quickly. And then there was the smell. An elf could pick up the smell of an orc up to a month after they had come through that area.

After over an hour of tracking, they paused for a moment and it was then that Breyan spotted the hair ribbon. It appeared to have been placed there and Serethiel knew like Breyan did that Phoebe must have put it there for them to follow.

"I think she is destined for the slave market," Serethiel assured him. "Those orcs were fat and not starving. Phoebe just became an easy target." She was quiet a moment and looked away. "I should have kept a better eye on her."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:57 am

OOC-Hey, just wanted to be sure you had seen my reply. Hope everything is going alright.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:58 pm

ooc: Sorry, I totally missed it. I was wondering if you got busy Sunday. I'll try to write tonight.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Roughly an hour beyond the ribbon siting, the forest began to give way to a more hilly landscape. The trees became less dense and much more sparse. In the near distance, the Mountains seemed to inch their way closer. Breyan had only traveled to the edge of the forest once, and that was two years ago. He and his men spent a week camped with the small mining town of Iron Mountain waiting out a blizzard. The area was quite deselate and the people hardened by the climate, and the mines.

"The orcs continue to move towards the mountains. They must have found a pass beyond natures wall into their lands." He told her guessing on what lies ahead. "The small mining town of Iron Mountain is roughly a day's journey northwest of here. But it appears their trail is beginning to veer away from the human settlement. It appears they are avoiding it." He told the elf.

They stopped for a moment to catch their breath. "I think you're right... the girl is destined for the slave trade, or possibly a life of servitude within their ranks." He said shivering at the thought as a cold northern wind blew an icy chill across their skin. Breyan look up into the late afternoon sky. The weather might be getting colder the farther north we travel."

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Serethiel easily kept up with Breyan. She seemed to have endless energy and endurance. Elves did not tire as easily as humans, but she would pause whenever Breyan needed a rest. She didn't want him to re-injure his leg. She knew it was mostly healed, but too much activity might not be good for it. She had never used the concoction on a human before and so she wasn't entirely sure how long it would take for it to fully heal.

As they moved northward, she kept her senses on high alert. She relied on Breyan for guidance as she had never been this far beyond the Alysian border before. Her bow and quiver were slung across her back and her long daggers remained tucked into her belt in case they encountered any danger. She watched the tracks and could see they were continuing to move towards the mountains, which lingered in the distance.

They paused for a few moments to rest and as the cold wind picked up Breyan might notice that Serethiel did not shiver. She didn't appear to be affected by the weather much at all.

"The cold does not bother me," she replied to him when he expressed some concern about it. "Will we need to get you some heavier clothes though?"

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Breyan shook his head at the elf maiden. The cold would worsen, but time was of the essence.

"The town of Iron Mountain is a day's journey northwest. Im afraid if we veer off from our goal now, we'll lose the orcs beyond the mountains. If that happens, Phoebe will never be seen again."

As dusk began to fall among the sparse trees, the hilly landscape became more arduous. Racing across a flat forest floor was one thing, but running across a hilly terrain took more out of the human. And as the hour loomed on, the hills grew taller.

The two companions continued throughout the early hours of the night, until the moon was high above. Atop a low lying hilltop, they caught a glimpse of two distant lights. Possibly lantern or torch lights. Easily missed by the human eye.

The orc trail appears to continue directly to that spot and they believe they've caught the small band they've tracked.

Moving closer, they cautiously negotiated the terrain to conceal their approach, eventually crawling through the grass to the top of the next hill. With the mountains setting a dark rock backdrop, the two saw the remains of a ruined building. An old monastery of some sort. Two small brazzers lit up the main entrance, and several orcs sulked about the gates.

"They've must have commondered this old monastery as a forward base. Or possibly a hold up before traveling through the mountain pass." Breyan whispered.

The icy wind blew over their bodies and the ranger shivered at its chill. He noticed she was not fazed by the environment. "Why aren't you cold?"

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Serethiel continued on without tiring. She knew she would need to rest at some point, but she continued on with seemingly endless energy. The soft, well worn leather of her tall boots allowed her to easily navigate the hillier and rockier terrain. She moved almost like a feline and there was a gracefulness to each movement she made.

Finally, in the early hours of the night they paused atop a low lying hill and in the distance they spotted two lights with the orc trail heading directly towards them. Together, they continued on that way and as they got closer to the lights Serethiel could make out the shape of an old building. It appeared to have been abandoned by its previous occupants, but she spotted two orcs guarding the gates. Serethiel studied the building closely, wondering if Phoebe was inside. However, her attention was drawn away momentarily by Breyan's question.

"Elves are not affected by hot or cold weather the way other species are," she replied quietly. "I'm not entirely sure why it is. It's not that I don't feel the cold, but my body just doesn't react to it as readily as yours does."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Breyan looked at her puzzled. This was new to him. He was never taught this trait about their enemy, but after thinking a bit, the last several wars were mostly waged in the warmer months.

He turned his direction back towards the ruined complex. "If we wait until daybreak, they'll sleep.
Maybe there's another way in that's less forward." He cocks his head a bit, studying the building.
"There." He points to the right wall. "It looks like a section has collapsed. What do you think?"

He worried about entering the stronghold, not knowing what lay inside. They could be walking into an entire troop of orc warriors. Or worse.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Serethiel turned her attention back to the building as well. Right as Breyan pointed out the collapsed section on the right wall her eyes fell upon it. It appeared to be their best option. However, like Breyan, she knew that they did not know how many orcs might be inside.

"I think before we enter the building we should find an area where we can view inside without being seen. I would rather know how many are there and if Pheobe is with them first before charging in."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:59 am

Breyan lay silently at the top of the bluff with Serethiel. The two surveyed the area from within the tall grass of the hilly terrain.

He listened to the elf's suggestion about gathering a bit more information before committing to the ruined hideout. His eyes remained fixed on the building and its many facets, as he nodded in agreement. This elf warrior was very cautious with her decisions. He respected that about her. Many humans he had commanded had lost their lives due to hasty decisions.

Leaning his head towards her, he whispered. "What do you suggest?"

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am

Serethiel surveyed the area again and spotted some brush that lay just beyond the collapsed side of the building. She pointed it out to Breyan and whispered to him. "If we can get to the brush and use it for cover I should be able to see well enough into the building to see how many orcs at large we may be dealing with and possibly if Phoebe is with them."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm

Breyan nodded again at his companion. From that vantage point, the elf could possibly see inside the complex and get a better idea of what awaited. He would be at a loss since his human eyes could not see without more light.

The two crept back down the hill and made their way around several low lying grassy mounds until they reached the eastern most position. There they crawled back through the tall grass and edged over the closest hill.

Breyan saw the entire east wall was collapsed, and had been for some time. Next to the wall, a 3 story tower loomed overhead. Anyone inside would be able to see approaching visitors across the 50 yard clearing to the complex. Beyond the rubble wall, Breyan could vaguely see into a courtyard, but most was blanketed in darkness. He could detect shadows moving about, and knew there were more orcs inside, but any detail he'd have to leave to his better equipped elf scout.

ooc: Left it open for you. Smile

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm

OOC-Well let me ask you this, do you want Phoebe to be in there with them?

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:20 pm

ooc: Surprise me. I dont want to hog the creative direction of the story. Smile

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Serethiel remained low behind the bush. Even though Elves were naturally very quiet, she was even more so now. She wasn't sure how many orcs were in that building and she knew that she and Breyan could get easily overwhelmed if they weren't careful. Thankfully, they had managed to get past the guards without any problems.

She found a spot in the bush that allowed her to see straight through and into the building. Her sharp eyes quickly began to pick up the orcs' movements and she began to count their numbers. After a few minutes she looked at Breyan who lay at the right.

"As far as I can tell there's at least a dozen in there. However, I do not see Phoebe. It is possible that the group we were following did not stop here."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:14 pm

ooc: Ah... you're a sly one. Making me direct the story. Which Im happy to do, but I dont want to monopolize the creative direction. So let me know when I am.

bic:
Serethiel slid back from her vantage point to relay the message to Breyan. "As far as I can tell, there's at least a cozen in there. However, I do not see Phoebe. It is possible that the group we were following did not stop here."

He forced a smile and nodded in agreement. A bit disappointed that the young girl might be lost to the beastmen.

Just then, a light flickered across the grassy knoll gathering both their attention. They crawled in haste back to the top of the bluff. Inside the courtyard, several braziers were lit ablaze causing the entire inner area of the complex to be illuminated. Inside, Serethiel's count was correct. Over a dozen orc warriors are working themselves into a fury. Two cages on the backs of wagons hold several human slaves. The prisoners huddle towards the back in fear as they await their fate.

Two men, who appear to be simple farmers, are pulled from the first wagon. The first is cut down by the orcs with multiple thrusts from their long spears. His body is dragged to a butcher's block. The second man is tossed a crude weapon and forced to defend himself against several orc warriors. He is hacked down within seconds, adding to the fervor of their blood lust.

Looking at the captives, Serethiel is sure Phoebe is not among them.

The orcs begin to clammer for another victim, as they are silenced by a larger creature. He is twice their size and moves into the courtyard. An additional squad of beastman move in with him. Serethiel can not make out what he is saying, but eventually, they all begin to roar in triumph.

Breyan looks to his friend. "This is bigger than we expected. I think we might need more swords." He says sliding back from the top of the hill. "We can't let this continue. Not in the northern forest. But we'll need help. Iron Mountain is a day's journey from here. There we might be able to muster up some help. Convince the town militia maybe. Or hire a few more willing to help." He looked at his elf friend before continuing his final thought. "But we'll have to hide those ears." He said with a wince, anticipating an objection.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 pm

OOC-Sorry, I'm just not feeling well tonight. I would still like for them to find Phoebe though. I just thought that this could extend that part of the story a bit more.

IC-Serethiel quickly followed Breyan back up to the top of the hill where they could more easily see the entire complex. Another group of orcs joined the ones that were already there and now Serethiel could see cages of human prisons being brought in by wagon. She held her breath as she scanned the prisoners, but did not see Phoebe. She wasn't sure if she should feel joy or disappointment at not seeing her as she feared that the lives of these prisoners was not going to end well. She watched in horror as two men, who appeared to be farmers, were pulled from one of the wagons. The first man was killed within seconds. The second man was given the opportunity to defend himself, but met the same fate as the first very quickly. The blood that was spilled only seemed to amp up the orcs even more. Their grunts and hollering echoed into the cold darkness for miles.

Serethiel listened to Breyan as she looked at the other prisoners. She wanted to help them now, but she knew that would be pointless. They would be overwhelmed and likely killed. They would need help in order to take care of these beasts.

She was about to answer in agreement when Breyan informed her that before entering the town they would have to hide the fact that she was an elf, namely her ears. She sighed, but knew there was no other option.

"Fine...I can change my hair so that it will hide my ears."

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:44 pm

ooc: I'll write more tomorrow. Hope you feel better.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breyan Norrey Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Sorry. Killer week. I'll have to take a break until this weekend. So sorry.

Breyan Norrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm

That’s fine! I completely understand.

Serethiel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content